Version 5.x of Identity Panel uses Elasticsearch version 7.5 as a full-text indexing service. The following guide may be used to prepare for a clean installation of Identity Panel or as part of upgrading to 5.x
Elasticsearch requires Java 8 or above, supporting only Oracle’s Java and OpenJDK. Although Elasticsearch includes a version of OpenJDK it is recommended to maintain a separate JDK installation.
Install and configure OpenJDK
- Download OpenJDK (version 13 recommended with Elastic 7.5) from https://jdk.java.net/13.
- Unblock (if necessary) and extract the zip file
- Open System Environment Variables and add (or update) the JAVA_HOME variable pointing to the extracted jdk-13* folder
- Download a 7.5.x release of Elasticsearch. Choose the Windows zip download:
- Right click on the downloaded zip, choose properties, and unblock it if necessary.
- Create a folder in a suitable location (e.g. C:\Program Files\SoftwareIDM\Elastic), and extract the downloaded zip archive:
- Optional: edit configuration to provide custom data and log paths
- Edit \elasticsearch-7.5.2\config\elasticsearch.yml
- Un-comment path.data and path.logs and revise as needed
- Install Service
- Open an administrative command prompt in the extracted location's bin folder, e.g. C:\Program Files\SoftwareIDM\Elastic\elasticsearch-7.5.2\bin\
elasticsearch-service.bat install <custom service name e.g. SoftwareIDM.ElasticSearch>
- Optional: You may change the service display name so that it sorts close to the Identity Panel web maintenance service:
sc config <custom service name> displayName= "SoftwareIDM Elastic"
- Change the service to autostart:
sc config <custom service name> start= auto
- Start the service:
net start <custom service name>
- Validate the Elastic search configuration by browsing to http://localhost:9200/
If the service fails to start and writes "Missing service ImageFile" in the Elastic.yyyy-mm-dd.txt log, the Java environment may be missing or incorrectly configured. Ensure Java is installed and the JAVA_HOME variable is present as per the Install and configure OpenJDK section above.
- Setup Overview: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/setup.html
- Installing on Windows: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/zip-windows.html
- Downloads (Past Releases: choose a 7.5.x version): https://www.elastic.co/downloads/past-releases#elasticsearch